This module provides an overviev of the competence-based teacher and school leadership training system.
Growing expectations and changes in society have set new challenges for education. The roles are changing: teachers are no longer confined to teaching classes and heads of schools are no longer just executives. Both professions carry many roles and functions that require leadership competence, teamwork and interdisciplinary skills, supervisory expertise, and the skill of using information and communications means and education technologies.
As we value lifelong learning, we also see the importance of in-service training for teachers and school leaders. Teacher training is provided by two major universities in Estonia: Tartu University and Tallinn University. For technical subjects, the main training centre is Tallinn Technology University.
This module will provide an overview of different programmes we run to keep our teachers and school leaders motivated, challenged and growth-focused at all educational levels. You will obtain an overview of how the competence-based training system for teachers and school staff is implemented in Estonia. To that end, we will share our expertise about the following:
- the pre-service teacher training system in Estonia (including teacher training practice and its’ development activities);
- the in-service teacher training system (including support for novice teachers).
Target groups for the above-mentioned training are:
- teachers from kindergartens;
- teachers from all levels of general education;
- teachers from vocational education;
- school heads and other administrative staff;
- members of teacher networks.
Duration: 1.5 hrs