One method of data collection for the IELS study is the direct assessment of five-year-old children’s skills.
- Assessment of skills involves solving tasks on four assessment domains: emergent literacy, emergent numeracy, self-regulation and empathy.
- Each child solves the tasks over two days, each day for up to one hour.
- On the first day, children will solve the tasks on emergent literacy and self-regulation. On the second day, the children will solve tasks on emergent numeracy and empathy.
- Direct assessment is carried out on tablets.
- The tasks are playful and fun.
- The children will be introduced to the characters Miia and Toomas, who will guide the children through the assessment.
- Also, a trained Study Administrator guides the child during the assessment. The Study Administrators have pedagogical experience and they have participated in the training of carrying out the Study.
All participating children remain anonymous during the study. Children’s individual results will not be published.